Oh, hello and welcome to my first post here! Some of you might have heard of Muffin Monday and I’m so excited to be part of it since Muffin is actually one of my favorite breakfast menu. About Muffin Monday: The basic idea of Muffin Monday is that we bake along together following a recipe as the base and giving it our own twist. The fun is in seeing all the variations one can come up with and how everyone has a different take on it.
The challenge this week came from a recipe by The Neelys, yes, they are the celebrity chefs of Bring Down The Neelys on Food Network. The recipe came with cornmeal flour. So, here’s the disaster as I prepped my muffin. I didn’t realize I mixed corn starch and all purpose flour, instead of cornmeal. Big mess!! Luckily, I realized it before I’d gone too far.
Anyways, I like this recipe – the crispy bacon gives extra crunchiness and the jalapeno really adds some heat. So, I hope you enjoy it, too!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ stick butter, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 1-2 Jalapenos, chopped
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 slices of bacon
- Cut the bacon in as small pieces as you like. In a heavy-bottom pan (such as a cast-iron pan), cook the bacon on medium-high heat until it turns a deep brown color. Keep the fat/ oil.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the muffin tin with fat from bacon.
- In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the whole milk, eggs, butter, and honey.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. It can be a little lumpy.
- Add the parmesan cheese and chopped jalapeno to the mixture.
- Pour batter into the muffin tin, about 2/3 full. Sprinkle crispy bacon on top. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden.
For printed recipe, please click here.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week. Click here to see more of Muffin 101.