Hmmm pie. For me, pie is always referred to something sweets, fruits, or seasonal. Part of the reasons might be my likeness of strawberry fruits during Summer. However, today’s recipe won’t say anything related to sweets at all.
Back in Asia, we often have tempeh daily since the price is very cheap. You can get a block of tempeh for less than $1 – still fresh and wrapped in banana leaves. While in US, you have to pay about $3.50 for frozen tempeh. We actually found one seller for fresh tempeh and they sell it for $5, however it takes us almost 2 hours to buy them. So, with today’s
economy gas price, let’s just atick with frozen for now.
So, what is tempeh? Tempeh is a fermented soy product from Indonesia. This tempeh is made with soybeans and incubated with methods that make this tempeh firm and fresh by using traditional Indonesian techniques. Because of the firm texture, Indonesian style tempeh can be cut into very small, thin strips that will not fall apart during cooking and will bring the goodness of soy to a variety dishes.
There are so many ways to eat tempeh – from deep fried, baked, steamed, or even use it as condiments aka chili sauce. However today I’ll take you to a whole new world of tempeh, twisted in Thai version and baked as a pie dish.
- 1 cup bell pepper in assorted colors, diced
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package tempeh, chopped into 1″ cubes
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbs fish sauce
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 2 oz red curry paste
- 2 tbs all purpose flour
- Sprinkle of sugar
- 1 tbs oil
- 2 puff pastry (1 package), thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- In a wok, heat 1 tbs oil and cook onion, garlic, bell pepper over medium-high heat. Saute for about 3 minutes, then add the vegetables and tempeh. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the red curry paste, stir well and add water, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes, then add milk. Lastly, add the flour and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface and flatten it. Cut the puff pastry to the size of your baking dish – for bottom and top. Place cut puff pastry, then filled the baking dish with tempeh mixture.
- Cover the top with puff pastry and brush with egg yolk.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden crust.
For printed recipe, please click here.
As you may have noticed, when the #SundaySupper Team does something, we come together and do it with a bang. Check out these additional recipes, perfect to take to someone who you want to make feel special this month.
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Hazelnut Milk Chocolate Pie by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Flatbread with Grapes, Gruyere, Rosemary and Red Onions by Shockingly Delicious
- Salted Caramel Filled Chocolate Chip Cookie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candy Bar Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Quiches by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Pear Tarte Tatin by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Apple Cranberry Slab Pie by Generation Y Foodie
- Gratin of Potatoes, Onions & Leeks by An Appealing Plan
- Garlic rosemary yeast rolls by Gotta Get Baked
- Italian Tomato Tart by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Impossible cheeseburger pie by In the Kitchen with KP
- 10 Grain Muffins by Mangiamo!
- Savory squash pie by The Realistic Nutritionist
- Deep Dish Caramel Apple Pie by Mama Mommy Mom
- Date Crumb Pie by girlichef
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Doughnuts by What Smells So Good?
- Pecan Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Nana’s 3LB Deep Dish Apple Pie by I Run For Wine
- Upside-down Apple Pie by Comfy Cuisine
- Coconut Pie by Basic N Delicious
- Italian Chicken Pie by Momma’s Meals
- German Apple Pie by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Funny Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato Pie with Gingersnap by Webicurean
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie with Maple Whipped Cream by The Meltaways
- Lemon Meringue Pie by The Messy Baker Blog
- Ham and Spinach Quiche by Magnolia Days
- Pink Salmon Quiche by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel Topping by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Eggplant Moussaka With Greek Yogurt White Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie by Big Bears Wife
- Pumpkin Maple Pie by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Spiced Pumpkin Pie with a Cinnamon Roll Crust by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pasteis de Nata ~ Portuguese Custard Tart by Family Foodie
- Chocolate Pie by Diabetic Foodie
- Fancified Shepard’s Pie by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Pink Lady Pie by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
Do you want to get your own Easy as Pie Dish? Chantal is offering will be 20% OFF of ALL Chantal Pie dishes on http://www.chantal.com. BAKE4CURE must be entered at checkout to receive the pie dish discount. The coupon discount code is active October 16, 2012 through October 30, 2012.