For the past 2 weeks, things have gone chaotic. Frederick is now in his busy season and that means our schedule now starts at 5 in the morning and continues til the clock strikes midnight. We used to go to work at 7.30am and it’s now changed to 6am. Plus, my office is moving to another building and we have to empty everything out within 2 weeks. Luckily, it’s still within walking distance. Not only that, I’ve been working on my final project, The Thesis, that is due Monday at noon. Yes, tomorrow and I’m still half-way done. To top it off, I’ve been having a cold all week. I don’t blame myself for not getting enough rest. So, when we got home the other night (late night, I must say), I just could not think of anything better than a warm comfort soup.
Do you know that chicken noodle soup helps cure the common cold? Chicken soup neuritis’s the body, thus strengthening your amine system to aid in fighting off the cold or flu virus. With a sore throught it is just easier to swallow a liquid over anything that is a solid. Anyways, here’s to something soothing and comforting – our family version of chicken noodle soup aka sausage macaroni soup. It is definitely comforting and often times, I replace sausage with spam. Slurp.
Sausage & Macaroni Soup
Serves: 2-4 people
- 3 cups water + more to boil the macaroni
- ½ cup chicken bones (or replace with ½ block of chicken stock)
- ½ cup macaroni
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup chicken sausage/ spam, cubed
- 1 egg
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Blanch chicken bone and drumsticks in a pot of boiling water. Rinse and drain; set aside.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a soup pot filled with water, add the chicken bone and sausage. Cook for about 10 mins or until the carrot gets tender. Reduce the head and add the sausage, cook for another 5 minutes, then add the macaroni. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Make sure your soup is at a bare simmer. Pour in the egg slowly while stirring the soup in the same direction. Break the yolk, let it spread and feather. Turn off the heat and serve immediately.