This Week’s Sunday Supper is all about “Retro Recipes”. It’s something that take us back in time. To be honest, there’s no favorite recipe in my family. Everyone just loves mom’s cooking and we never complain about how she does it. So, this made me realize I need to start something that I can pass on to my generation.
I know Frederick loves chicken cordon bleu so much. He had it the first time when he was in Junior High and fell in love since then. When I browsed for the retro food recipes, I could not stop thinking about chicken cordon bleu, but then I wanted to try something new at the same time. For me, it’s a stress reliever to be in the kitchen and mess around. So, this week inspiration came from Ukaine, Kiev; called Chicken Kiev. This is a popular breaded cutlet dish of boneless chicken breast, rolled around garlic butter with herbs. Another great thing about this dish is you can make it ahead of time and keep it in the freezer. Yes, homemade frozen food!
Baked Chicken Kiev
- 8 tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tbs dried parsley
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning chicken
- ¼ tsp black pepper, plus more for seasoning chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, halves (makes 4)
- 2 cups panko bread or bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten with 1 tsp water
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Mix the butter with parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Place the mixture on plastic wrap or waxed paper and roll into small log. Cover and freeze about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Flatten the chicken breast – 1 at a time between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound to no less than 1/8-inch thickness. Season each piece of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Lay 1 chicken breast and place 1/5 of the compound butter. Fold long sides of chicken over the mixture, fold up ends and roll breast into a log, completely enclosing the butter, roll very tightly. Wrap each chicken in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the remaining 1/5 of the compound butter and combine with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese until fully combined.
- Dip the chicken into the egg mixture and then roll in bread crumbs mixture. Gently place each breast on a baking sheet, sealed-side down. Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Remove to a cooling rack set in sheet pan and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
…and don’t forget to check this out for a chance to win CORE Food – Full Meal To Go.
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- Retro Football Party: Fondue, Deviled Chicken Wings & Lemon Chiffon by Zest Florida Foodie
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Watergate Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup by The Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by Yummy What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trial in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Tator Tot Casserole by Neighbor Food Blog
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy Foodie Stunts