Today is a special day, especially for our family because we’re celebrating Chinese New Year and Valentine’s Day. People often ask how long does the celebration last? It lasts for one-full month. Yeah, we sure know how to par-teeh. The night before the New Year, we all get together for the annual reunion dinner. It’s the big feast for the family. Traditionally, we all get together with family from husband’s side, then the next day (Lunar New Year), we go to family from wife’s side. Since, we don’t have that big family here, we decided to visit both of them in one night. So, by the time you’re reading this, I probably still in a food coma.
When I was little, I always looked forward to this celebration coz what’s not to love – family, food, new clothes, and money aka red envelope. Now, that I have my own family, I try to slow down, especially learning how many calories and fat I have to burn after each celebration. But still, it’s fun to be with family…and enjoying mom’s cooking! Anyhow, let’s talk about cupcakes since we’re approaching valentine’s day. Honestly, I’m still debating what to get for Frederick so I figured to bake these cupcakes for him because it has red wine in it. Interestingly, when you bake with bourbon or other liquor, you can’t taste or smell the alcohol. While using red wine, you can taste the aroma and it’s so good. I’m not a fan of red wine, not event want to taste it; but I can say these red wine cupcakes are so awesome! In fact, I had to make another batch last week since I had received compliments about these cupcakes.
Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting
- 1½ cups + 2 tbs all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbs butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup red wine (I use shiraz)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line the cupcakes liner.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating continuously, then sift in the flour mixture.
- Add the oil and mix well. Lastly, add the red wine and milk to the mixture. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture evenly in the cupcakes liner.
- Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let them cool.
- To make the frosting: combine all the ingredients together and whisk in high speed until light and fluffy (about 2 – 4 minutes). Spread over cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.
Check out what the rest of the #SundaySupper crew is serving up for Valentine’s Day. And get ready…everything is so fabulous you’ll feel like you’ve been shot in the behind with cupid’s love arrow…
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Fried Heart Pizza from Mooshu Jenne
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Cherry Pie Hearts from Home Cooking Memories
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Baileys Banana Cream Sauce from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Truffles from The Wimpy Vetegarian
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- Deliciously Baked & Festively Glazed Mini-Donuts from Mangoes and Chutney
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from She Likes Ruffles, He Likes Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Fudge from What Smells So Good?
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape: A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, February 10th to talk all about Valentine’s eats and treats! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!