I want a healthy lifestyle – I’m sure you’ve heard it somewhere, or even that’s part of your resolution this year. Each year, I always try to eat more greens and less greasy stuffs. Well, I’m sure you get the idea. I am a believer that a perfect day starts with a good breakfast, and that’s what my parents have been teaching me. However, often times, I prefer to sleep in rather than prepare a nice and healthy breakfast *guilty smile*. Good news – this oatmeal breakfast is so easy to make, and has a creamy and rich ingredients! Another good news is you can make this 4 days ahead of time and freeze it.
Baked Oatmeal Chocolate Berries
Make: 2-4 casserole cup
- 1 cup lightly toasted cashews
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs agave syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup mixed berries
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chip
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a blender, combine the cashews and oats until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine the applesauce, vanilla extract, agave syrup, sea salt, and milk; then combine with oats mixture. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole dish, then add half of the berries and dark chocolate chips. Pour the remaining mixture, then add the rest of berries and chocolate.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the top appears dry. Let it cool and serve warm or cold. I like mine with a touch of agave syrup on top.
I used to love Fall and Winter so much. Yeah, you can say that I love cold weather and I’m completely agree with that. One of my dreams is actually living in place that gets snow each year. I’ve been dying to live in New York since 12 years ago and recently nagging to move to Seattle so I can play with snow and go on a vacay to Canada. Of course, Frederick rejected my brilliant idea right away since he loves tropical weather.
However, I recently fell in love with Summer., especially ever since I came back to SF because the weather is always breezy. Not only that, Summer is also the best time to have fruits like peach, apricots, and all kind of berries. Gulp, I wish we can have those fresh fruits all year long. It must be lovely, don’t you think?
But, the list does not stop right there. One of the biggest reason why I love Summer is more daylight. I love how it is still bright when I leave work and it just seems I am more energized to do things. That includes taking pictures. Yes, I am one of you who enjoys natural light for taking pictures. So, to end Summer time, here’s German Pancake with your favorite Summer fruits.
½ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons melted butter
¼ teaspoon salt
Mixed Berries, syrup, whipped cream, powdered sugar-for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch oven safe skillet with butter and set aside.
2. Gradually add flour to beaten eggs, mix with a fork. Stir in milk, vanilla extract, butter, and salt. Pour batter into prepared skillet.
3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve warm with berries, syrup, whipped cream, and powdered sugar.